Θηρόποεα Χείρ - an “Assisting Hand”
Theta Chi was founded as the Theta Chi Society on April 10, 1856, at Norwich University, by two military cadets: Frederick Norton Freeman and Arthur Chase.
Freeman and Chase met in Freeman’s room of the University’s Old South Barracks, and after taking oaths and declaring each other “true and accepted members” of the Society, Chase was elected President and Freeman was elected Secretary. The next evening, Freeman and Chase initiated two more cadets: Edward Bancroft Williston and Lorenzo Potter.
Although Theta Chi is regarded as Norwich’s first fraternity, it is believed that Freeman and Chase may also have been members of a secret society called The Regulators prior to founding Theta Chi. However, whether there was any connection between the Regulators and Theta Chi is still open for debate today.
The Delta Mu chapter of Theta Chi Fraternity was established on May 19, 1951 and contiunes to extend an assisting hand to the Interfraternity Concil, the University of Texas at Austin, and the greater Austin Community. With an ever growing presence in the West Campus area, Delta Mu looks to continue their success.
Theta Chi has grown and prospered in ways far beyond what even its Founders had envisioned. If our Founders could see us today, they would surely be proud. More than 175,000 men have been initiated into the Fraternity since its founding.